My old advisor, Eiichiro, said one of the hardest thing about moving to a new country was getting used to the food there. At the time, I didn't believe him, but now I see how right he was. I get very homesick when thinking about food (perhaps it is such an integral part of day to day living).
It's not just green chili. I would love some great refried beans right now. Or a burrito. Man, what I wouldn't do for a burrito.
Or even simple things. Popcorn. Peanut butter. Muffins. Root beer. Root beer. Root beer.
I tried to make some cookies the other day. I had no idea what I was thinking - baking in France? It's hard enough to make dinner. Everything is in metric here, so ingredients are measured by the gram, rather than cups or tablespoons. I bought myself a nifty scale. I actually like that - you can get very precise measurements that way.
The only things (for baking) I could find with relative ease were flour and sugar. Vanilla I found after some searching. But baking powder and baking soda? I had to enlist the help of a random woman I found in the store who spoke both English and French. Baking powder comes in little packets I would have never found on my own. I have yet to find baking soda. It's been a month, and I still can't find it. Maybe it doesn't exist in France.
But there are pluses too. French food - ah yes - I have never seen or had so much great inexpensive wine in my life. It's everywhere. It's cheaper than water (really). And cheese. So good. And bread and pastries. Everyday I walk past a bakery. It's a great temptation.
We had a party in my department and they had the strangest things - an open bar with pour your own wine, steak tartar, whole shrimp, marinated duck liver... you would never eat like this at a departmental party in the middle of the day in the States.
Then there are things you should just stay away from. My husband and I went to a French restaurant where one of the things on the menu was "calf's head". We thought perhaps it wasn't a literal translation - lots of things translate strangely off a menu - but after our waitress insisted we DID NOT want that, we reconsidered.
Ah, French food. An experience. And now, I think I'm off to make some popcorn a friend brought me from the States...
Every time I eat green chili enchiladas, or breakfast burritos I think of you...But enjoy the culture you're in, it is a great experience. With that said, I am worried about what I will eat when I get there...you know me I don't like to try new things. =)
ReplyDelete