Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Germany: Land of on time trains and beer.

I just got back from a conference/ mini-vacation in Hamburg Germany.  It was the farthest North I've ever been.  And being in northern Europe brought the associated weather with it... rain, wind, and COLD!  Wish I brought my gloves.

The first thing that I saw in the airport was this rather unique ad:

 I was struck by how clean everything was in Germany!  How organized!  How on time all the trains were!  Even trash is organized (in 4 languages)!


On my pillow at night were gummy sheep.  Very cute.

The conference was great and I had some very good conversations with my "conference friends" and some new people I met in the field.  Overall a very good experience.  For lunch we ate in the canteen on campus.  It is always interesting to see how the canteens of other establishments in Europe compare to my own.  There was always one line for sausage. Here, I'm eating currywurst, fries, chocolate mouse topped with applesause, and the local cola - MezzoMix!  which is orange cola.  Very good meal.

  

The conference dinner was awesome.  It was in a local brewery.  We were provided beer!  Even though I'm not a beer fan, it's nice to be able to try beer in Germany.

 Bram especially liked the food!  We were given a huge "board" filled with all sorts of meat -  sausage, ham, bacon, with relatively little other food.

Desert was berries and cream and more beer.

1 comment: