Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Language

A lot of people have said I am brave to come to France without speaking French. My response to this is "brave... or stupid". Some days I'm more inclined to go with the latter.

It's ok. I have found ways around my lack of knowledge of the French vocabulary. My iPhone comes in very handy sometimes - I type in what I want to say into translate it tells me what to say (even though most times I just hold it up to whoever I'm talking to so they can read it). Hey - it works. It got me a bank account.

Or trying to buy shampoo the first time. I spent a good 10 minutes staring at a wall of body wash before I realized that none of them were shampoo.

I'm taking a French class, and just being here is slowly allowing me to learn more and more French words. I even had a full conversation in French with a woman trying to sell me a cappuccino machine! Little victories!

4 comments:

  1. The victory comes in not buying the cappuccino machine! =) The true test will be in finding deodorant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deodorant isn't too bad - the sticks are pretty self evident. The real test is to keep wanting to go out and keep facing the cluelessness. And you are making amazing progress Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I though 'shampoo' was a french word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shampoo is indeed shampoo here. However, I didn't know it - what I saw first was body wash

    ReplyDelete