Friday, March 11, 2011

Lost in Translation

Yesterday, one of my French friends, who has taken it upon herself to introduce me to the wonderful world of French food, came into my office and asked if I would like to try some of her next dish she will make... gopher.

Gopher?

Yes, gopher.

I find that the French are a bit more adventurous in their meat choices than Americans, but this didn't seem right.  I did a quick image search on google and this is what popped up:



"That's a gopher," I said.  

She said "What the heck is that?"  Apparently they do not have gophers in France.  But more importantly, that meant she did not want to feed me gopher.  

Phew.

She instead meant gaufre, which is French for waffle:


 Now that I will happily eat.  :-)

5 comments:

  1. Haha, nice! I wouldn't mind trying gopher. That is a cool picture of the militant gopher btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told this story to one friend from Germany and one from England. Both didn't know what a gopher was. This story is a lot less funny when whomever I am telling it to does not know what a gopher is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! That's a great story! That gopher definitely wouldn't be the one for dinner....he probably shoots back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew the French were adventurous, but this seemed peculiar even for them. Glad it turned out to be something much more appetizing.

    Gophers are apparently native to North America only. You should have your friends watch Caddyshack to learn about gophers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We serve praire dogs down here in New Mexico! Great with green chili!

    ReplyDelete