Saturday, October 15, 2011

Paris by Boat

My group recently took a boat cruise, during which we listened to talks all day.  The talks were in French, and I spent most of the day being so sick I couldn't even look at the screen as it bobbed up and down in front of my eyes.  But that's ok, it gave me an excuse to sit on the deck and watch Paris float by.  (Which, I'm sorry, is more fun than listening to science talks in French.  Even the organizer agreed with me on that one.) 

Being from the desert, I am still amazed by so much water.  We went through several locks.


The lock begins to fill with water.


Totally filled with water now.


And the floodgates open!


Some of the locks were quite deep.



We headed south-east of Paris.  We went through beautiful suburbs that I didn't even knew existed.


Many trees beginning to turn color and very nice houses.



Wouldn't be a bad place to live.


We even went through a tunnel.


One of the interesting things we saw: a floating swimming pool on the river.


Back in Paris proper.  The Eiffel Tower in the background.


Sailing towards Notre Dame.


On the other side of Notre Dame now, seeing the bridge that connects Île de Cité and Île St. Louis. 


Entering our final lock.


It fills with gushing water!

Almost all filled now!


And it opens!


2 comments:

  1. Now I wished I had taken the time for a cruise on the Seine...I have so many things I want to do when I go back to Paris!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've never done it before either, and it was a lot more fun than I thought it would have been (minus the being sick part!)

    ReplyDelete