![]() | ||
| That's faith in science |
In the hall of mirrors.
![]() |
| I'm all legs. |
It turns out Plinko chips fall in a Gaussian fashion.
![]() |
| Science is awesome! So is Plinko! |
We also took a walking tour of Boston. Our first stop was the Boston Commons, lovely on a clear cold day.
This is the tower that the lanterns were hung in that warned the Americans of the coming British and that started Paul Revere's ride - one if by land, two if by sea...
Here is Paul Revere's house, still standing after all these years.
Bram and I with the skyline of Boston.
The site of the Boston Massacre.
Inside the Old South Meeting House, where the colonists planned the Boston Tea Party.
The oldest commercial building in Boston (which used to be the Old Corner Bookstore)... now home to a Chipotle.
Bram takes a donkey for a ride.
Inside one of the churches. Families would rent pews, which they could furnish with as many seats as needed for their family size.
Which we climbed to the top of! Huff puff. But the view at sunset was pretty awesome.
Of course, there were some very nice things about being back in the US - like having our favorite beverages once more.
![]() |
| Mountain Dew ... ewww! |
Bram and I also went to the Boston Aquarium.
Watching the sting-rays.
I also went to the Art Museum.
![]() |
| Yay art! |
Some impressive paintings.
Including some that looked just like photos.
They also had some nice glass artwork. I'm always partial to glass.
My favorite piece were several silvered bottles sitting inside an enclosure of mirrors. This photo is a close-up of one of these bottles and the reflection of the other bottles in it.
The centerpiece of the food court was a large column of glass spikes.
A neat chest of drawers.
Of course, no art museum is complete without a share of weird art. I walked into this room that showed wood-working objects...
with an interesting medium.
And a large cheese grater.
Some people's definition of art is very strange...
What looks more like art to me is the Boston skyline...
Another part of my trip was to see boats! Namely, I went out to find the USS Constitution. In order to get there, a woman pointed me to walk across the river. The path she sent me on included a network of narrow walkways over locks on the river.
Finally, after a long walk, I could see the USS Constitution! Yay!
But there was still a scary looking fence, topped with sharp wire, and a series of no-trespassing signs that stood between me and the boat. Hmm. I asked another man for directions, and he pointed me this way:
Down a muddy abandoned path that definitely wasn't the way normal tourists come. But, on the plus side, I did get to see this:
which I am sure most tourists don't see, because I was really lost when I found it.
Well, the bad thing was that the USS Constitution was closed. Sigh! It's sad to keep me away from cool boats! But a blessing in disguise - I got an almost private tour of another boat:
the USS Cassin Young, a WWII destroyer. It was so awesome on our private tour - we saw parts of the boat I'm sure they don't take large groups on. (That's the benefit of going in the winter!)
The kitchen, equipped with giant bowls and a man-sized blender.
A typical day's menu. (Klim = dehydrated milk)
The mess hall. Note the ridges on the tables to keep the trays from sliding off.
In compared to the bunk room of the sailors.
Finally, I'll leave you with some scenes from the streets of Boston.











































I love that last picture of that building --very interesting what is it? Is that a staircase going up on the left side? Too bad you couldn't see the USS Constitution as well. I am not going to comment on Warhol's art except to say EWWW!
ReplyDeleteI am actually not sure what the last building is. It was just another random pretty building. It is a staircase though.
ReplyDelete