Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Little Pre-Japan

Bram and I recently went to a Japanese expo - a little taste of Japan in Paris. 

Japan visits France

We tried some interesting pan fried balls of dough.  The cooks put a mixture of batter, green onions, and seafood in grills shaped sort of like rounded muffin pans.  Then they continually turned them, eventually creating a batter ball.


Our final "batter balls", filled with salmon and shrimp.


An albino peacock.


And a blue one.


Inside the sculptured Japanese gardens.


With unique tree shapes!



I was even able to try some calligraphy.  I used a brush and some black paint, and the final result looked pretty nice.  A point to someone who can guess the word I am writing! 


Giant people attack the crowd.


An interesting kabuki performance.



Later, we get our picture taken with the star of the kabuki show!


It starts to rain, and everyone takes out their umbrellas.  It made it really hard to see anything.  My poor short friend really has some difficulty seeing over the crowd. 

And I can't even fly.
Japanese women line up for the kimono fashion show.


The kimono fashion show was fun to watch... there were very modern styles...




To more traditional ones.


Japanese fan art.



This kimono is typically worn during weddings.


The littlest member of the kimono show.  She was supposed to throw petals at the audience, but didn't seem to understand that to toss the petals, you actually had to "let go". 


5 comments:

  1. Star? - Ginny
    Husband? - Sjaak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good guesses, but not right. But here's a hint - Sjaak is closer.

      Delete
  2. Trying again: Love? Sjaak Happiness? Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to complain as I did not get the email announcement for this post.... so I should get a point and a half because I would have guessed love right away duh!

    ReplyDelete