Tuesday, November 13, 2012

St. Martin's Day

Picture from Wikimedia commons
Yesterday was St. Martin's Day.  It's sort of like the equivalent of Halloween in the United States.  Children go up and down the street, carrying lanterns, singing songs and asking for treats.  In one of their songs, they ask for apples and pears, but if you actually give them fruit, you incur their wrath.  Candy is a much preferred option.

On the way home from work yesterday, I saw rows of kids, marching dutifully with their lanterns held aglow in front of them.  They went from one house or store to another.  Finally, I watched as a row of about 20 or so children marched happily into the liquor store, asking for treats. 

5 comments:

  1. Free liquor?!?!?

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know, the Netherlands is very liberal... Marijuana is not illegal, I suppose the drinking age is quite low as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I don't think the drinking age is 4. :-)

      Delete
  3. Most Americans don't know that the origin of the miniature liquor bottles in hotel mini-bars actually dates back to the early '20s, when Dutch brewers and distillers requisitioned small blown glass bottles in jewel-tones that they could use to gift their products to children on St. Martin's Day (children were warned to be extremely careful with the contents around the open flames of the lanterns). Many families collected the most beautiful examples - the surviving collections are rather breathtaking, and very valuable. Yep - Santa Claus, and Hotel Mini-bars: thank the Dutch. S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known this before. I didn't have any candy in the house that I could have given to the kids, but if I knew they were accepting alcohol...

      Delete