Friday, February 22, 2013

All About Frozen Canals

Part of winter in the Netherlands involves the canals freezing.  Many times, they freeze hard enough so that people can skate on top.  It's a great mode of travel if all the canals are frozen, since sometimes it seems they are more numerous than roads.  (Ok, not really, but close).  This year, the larger canals didn't all freeze, but many of the smaller canals did, along with the ponds.  As soon as the ice was thick enough, hundreds of Dutch people were found outside, skating on the ponds and canals.  Even the littlest of kids were out there, running around on the ice, pushing a wooden chair in front of them for balance.  

This winter, the southern part of the country has been colder and has had more snow.  On a short trip to  Amsterdam, I was able to see many of the frozen canals.


The locks in the canal are surrounded by a nice sheet of ice.  


The canals frozen and covered in snow.  All of the houseboats were frozen in place.



Some birds stand on the frozen canal.


Not all of the canal was frozen solid.  This part regularly had boats pass by, and they broke the ice up into little mini-icebergs.


Every winter, certain Dutch people get more and more excited the colder it gets.  Their hope is that it will get cold enough to hold the Elfstedentocht - a 200 km ice skating circuit that goes over several of the canals in the country.  Of course, you need a pretty cold winter to freeze 200 km of canals - but it has happened several times.   This year it wasn't nearly cold enough for this to happen. (I still thought it was plenty cold, thank you.)  Of course, spending anywhere from 6-13 hours skating on 200 km of canals is hard on the body, and people at the end of the race typically look like this.

This event was made into a competition in 1909, but people were skating far before this on the canals on a similar circuit   In what year, before 1909, was a poem written that mentioned skating on the canals of Friesland?

13 comments:

  1. My guess is: 1880 --Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not quite, it was actually much earlier than this. I must have come up with a hard question - more than 24 hours has passed and only one attempt at this question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try again with 1866...but yes, I thought this was a hard one! :) Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earlier still. The answer is out there - it just takes some creative searching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sjaak - you are getting closer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time for a clue? We are both stumped. Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally I came up with a hard question! Yay me! Ok, here is your clue: the poem is by Boelardus Augustinus van Boelens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I have it! 1740. Poor Sjaak's at work where he can't check so I guess I get the take credit for this one! :) Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! You got it! The answer was easy enough to find *if* one goes to the Dutch version of wikipedia. But to take the leap to try to translate the Dutch was the key.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually found it on an English website--don't remember which one now, but I searched for the last name only and "poem" and "canal." That was the only thing that came up...not sure I ever would've taken the time/effort to do any translations! - Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just an everyday part of life for me...

      Delete
  11. I remember before you went to the Netherlands you,however briefly, considered living on a houseboat on the canals...I bet you are glad you didn't...you would be frozen stiff!

    ReplyDelete