Thursday, April 25, 2013

Journey of a Million Flowers

After a winter that seemed to last forever, spring seems to finally be coming to the Netherlands.  Shrugging off our winter apparel, my parents joined me on a decidedly Dutch bike riding adventure - through the flower fields, all the way to the North Sea!

Our bikes, ready to ride.


Unfortunatly, since the winter has been so long and so cold, the tulips were not blooming yet.  But, there were massive fields of hyacinths and daffodils.  Do you have any idea how wonderful a million hyacinth smell?  I wish I could encode that smell into html to share with you.




On the way to the North Sea.


Flowers in all colors.





Approaching the sea.


Another hallmark of spring - lambs!  The sheep seem to take an interest in us as we bike past.


My parents following along behind.


On reaching the coast, the scenery changes drastically.  The flat flower fields are gone, replaced by the sandy, undulating dunes of the North Sea.


Finally, we reach the sea!  My parents with the beach in the background.



Boats, followed by the obligatory cloud of birds.


Sunshine!  Six months ago, the sun went behind a cloud.  Now that it's out again, you better believe I'm enjoying it!



Sharks on the beach.


The drifting sand dunes.




Now, heading back to the flower fields, through a forest.


I didn't see any, but I hear they are there.


Back to the flower fields.




At last, we see tulips!  They stand out, one red streak in a sea of green.


Another brave tulip sticks its head out, seeing if it really is spring yet.


Unopened buds.


Closer to the world-famous Keukenhof, a windmill stands above more tulips.


Finally, we see a full field of tulips!  I don't know why this field was blooming when others weren't, but we took the chance to take our pictures amid the flowers.




One yellow daffodil finds a place amid the tulips.






So it's official!  Spring is here!  Enjoy the sunshine and happy spring!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Beth for being our guide in the Netherlands. And take our word for it. The hyacinths smelled amazingly awesome! We had a great time!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would prefer fields of hyacinths to fields of tulips - I love Easter because they bring out hyacinths :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. still looks cold to me. : ) beautiful pics, though - I love the ones of a single standout flower...

    as far as the smell goes:

    https://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/nose/

    Sjaak

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, Beth! Thanks so much for posting all those flowers. If you haven't been, I think you would enjoy the Portland Rose Gardens. Ginny

    ReplyDelete