Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Stuff Pancakes are Made Of

New York state has a lot of water.  Growing up in the desert, this still fascinates me.  I would call any trickle of water down a rock face a waterfall.  New York state has a good share of "real" waterfalls.  Bram and I went to Buttermilk falls, a network of several falls down a beautiful stream*.

Walking up the waterfalls, many people take a break to walk in the pond at the base of the waterfall.


My husband frolics at the base of the waterfall.


Getting closer...


Then he decides he wants to try to climb it.


After his wife earns a few more gray hairs, he makes it to the top.



We decide to do a good portion of our hike through the stream itself.  Here I am at the top of my own scaled waterfall.


Some college students had too much time on their hands.


Fording the river.


The mini waterfalls, cutting away the soft rock.


Ever the great outdoors-man.


At this section of the river, the fast moving stream made a particularly deep hole in the soft rock.



These piles of rock are typically used by hikers in modern days to find their ways while hiking.  They have been found all over the world and some date back thousands of years.  These date back to last Friday night, when drunk college students made several of them.  A point if you know the name of these odd rock piles (no google).


* What we desert folk call a rushing river.

5 comments:

  1. If they are like the ones in Utah & Northern Arizona they are called "Hoodoos" but I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling or if these are the same thing. Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cairns!
    In some of those pictures of Bram, I picture him with shiny armor in a boat exploring somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cairns!
    In some of those pictures of Bram, I picture him with shiny armor in a boat exploring somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they are Cairns (Ginny - I think you were looking at the larger one in the picture above - I was referring to the tiny ones that were built by college students with too much time on their hands).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool pictures, as a professional hiker I knew that answer...dang, I was too busy (Christmas shopping yesterday) to get on the computer...Oh well, my time was well spent! I would love to hike there...maybe someday I will

      Delete