We were in Iceland close to when the days were the shortest. The sun rose at about 11:30 in the morning, and set at about 3:30 in the afternoon. The neat consequence of this was that for almost 100% of the time that the sun was up, it was like sunset! Makes for some great pictures!
So begins our story of Reykjavik - the northern-most capital city in the world, and the farthest north I've ever been....
Reykjavik is located at 66 degrees north. That's really far north! Their position on the Earth inspires the name of the Icelandic clothing line 66 degrees North, which specializes in winter gear. All of their male models have big bushy beards.
And for a point (without looking at a map or a search engine) - which of these cities is farther north than Reykjavik? Anchorage, Alaska; St. Petersburg, Russia; Moscow, Russia; Oulu, Finland; Bergen, Norway; Tasiilaq, Greenland; Whitehorse, Canada; Nuuk, Greenland; Arkhangelsk, Russia; Stockholm, Sweeden; Bergen Norway
Even in the winter, tourists still make Reykjavik a base for their outdoor adventures. We saw quite a few jeeps, and this "monster van", which I suppose is equipped for dealing with snowy and icy roads.
Our first night in Reykjavik was a bit of an adventure. I met this guy and wrestled him to the ground, after he tried to eat my husband. But after that, we got to talking, and it turns out he's not that bad of a chum. He promised to send me a postcard from his next stop - and iceberg in the Arctic Circle.
Seriously, polar bears are rare in Iceland - but every once in a while, one hitches a ride on an iceberg.
Nearby was the famous church Hallgrímskirkja. It was built very recently - commissioned in 1937.
The shape of the church is very unique - shaped after cooling basaltic lava. Hey - when your whole country is built on a volcano - you do what you have to do.
Inside the church is a pretty impressive organ.
But the view from the top of the church is even more impressive... with the snow-covered mountains in the distance...
... to the colorful buildings below.
In front of the church is a statue of Leif Ericson - the real first European to travel to America.
Within the city is a unique building - hosting a Caruso's I'm not sure if it's related to the one in Arizona!











I'm going to guess Bergen, Norway since you listed it twice! :) Ginny
ReplyDeleteSjaak's guess is: Tasiilak, Greenland
I was going to go with the same one as Sjaak, so Iam going to try the other greenland one: Nuuk, Greenland
ReplyDeleteAlex is home from school now & his guess is: St. Petersburg, Russia
ReplyDeleteDang I bet the answer has already been guessed, I would have picked one of the cities in Greenland! Either way I would never go there in winter! However with that said I bet it is colder in Minnesota this winter than in Greenland...Love the pictures Beth, especially the church quite unique structure.
ReplyDeleteBTW did the Caruso"s have pizza? Did you eat there?
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, we didn't eat there due to someone's gluten intolerance (in general, Italian places aren't the best for that....)
DeleteArkhangelsk, Russia Is my second guess, have no idea never heard of this so guessing this as it is probably in norther Siberia and it sounds cold!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to Bram and Sjaak, who guessed cities in Greenland that are both north of Reykjavik. Also congrats to Mom, because Arkhangelsk is very far north in Russia, near Finland.
ReplyDeleteThere is one more right answer, so if you haven't made a guess yet, there is still one more point up for grabs! (It was really hard to find cities farther north than Reykjavik by the way!)
Oulu Finland? Ginny
ReplyDeleteAlex will guess White Horse Canada
Oulu is indeed farther north, and is the second farthest north of the cities that I listed. The farthest north? Tasiilaq.
ReplyDeleteA geologist's church! So cool.
ReplyDelete