I'll just say that it did provide us some unique photos!
And a unique selfie!
We walked along the shore of the city. In the backdrop, windswept mountains enrobed in clouds testifies to the potential harshness of winter here.
Along the shore is this unique statue. A point if you can guess what it symbolizes (no google). (Hint: Take a look at my husband in this picture!)
The colorful buildings of the harbor, which will probably be much busier in the summertime, when whale and puffin watching tours depart from here.
One of the older boats. Many fishing boats still depart from here.
The lake in the center of Reykjavik was partially iced over - notice some of the birds swimming, while others stand on the ice.
Near the center of the lake, many people ice skate.
An interesting statue...
This street is named Burgerjoint, after the Burger joint that is on it. Talk about good publicity.
Nearby
is a very famous hot dog stand. Their menu is very simple: hot dogs
and soda. That's it. We ordered some hotdogs. They came with crispy
french onions on the bottom and two types of sauce - one like a mayo,
and one that was brown - and sort of indescribable when it comes to
taste. But the combination of the dog, the onions, and the sauces were
truly yummy, and made us understand why this understated hot dog stand
could stay in business, even with it's slim menu!
There
are some other weird things on the menu in Iceland - namely, whale and
puffin. Most countries actually ban eating whale, and puffins, while
not endangered, are not exactly thriving either.
Bram tries some puffin....
Just kidding!!! We love puffins!
Neither puffin or whale are a traditional Icelandic dish, and mostly tourists eat these animals just to say that they have eaten something new and weird. Kind of sad, considering there are lots of other, environmentally conscious choices when it comes to meat. (Puffin doesn't even taste that good, from what I hear.) So if you go to Iceland, don't eat the puffin or the whale! Let them live for another generation! :-)















I LOVE the picture of that building--so beautiful! I'm going to guess that the sculpture is a viking ship--just what came to mind when I first saw it.
ReplyDeleteI also liked the weird sculpture of the man walking with the block on top of his body.
Ginny
Glad you liked the pictures!
DeleteI actually thought that was what the sculpture was as well. I just read that that is a common misconception and it's actual original meaning is a dreamboat symbolizing hope. I'm going to give you the point anyways. ;-)
Your husband is in the picture? I had to almost get a magnifying glass I can hardly see him so that is no clue....I would also say it is a viking ship that is what it looks like, however I am guessing that would be too easy so I'll say it is the inside of a whale I see ribs--and maybe those are people on top of the whale hitching a ride...so its a whale-----???????????????????????
ReplyDeleteThat's an awesome answer. Art - in the eye of the beholder. :-)
DeleteI was just reading an interesting article about Puffin hunting a couple of weeks ago...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/puffin_hunting_in_iceland_breeding_collapse_due_to_climate_change.html
Sjaak
When in Iceland, I got the impression that in modern days, it's mostly the tourists that eat the puffins (and the tourist/puffin eating industry is a large one). Still, that article is very sad. (It does, however, paint an interesting, if somewhat harsh, picture of the Icelandic people.)
Delete