Monday, May 5, 2014

Spring Flower Market

As a reward for making it through the dark, dreary, depressing days of winter, spring in the Netherlands is really wonderful.   Because of the moist (that's one thing to call it) climate, the Netherlands is a great place to grow things - especially flowers.  On Good Friday each year, the entire town is converted into a flower market. 


Taking over the road...

The streets are overtaken by huge displays of amazing beautiful flowers.


Every year, thousands of Germans cross the border to buy flowers cheaply.  So many Germans come that some of the signs are even in German.


Of course, you can get the flower of the season: the tulip...


... and you can also get all sorts of diverse weird plants.

A point if you can name it!

Even wasabi!



I even took part in a fast paced flower auction... they would gather together a group of plants and sell them for ten euro to the first person who raised their hands.  I got two neat orchids!



3 comments:

  1. I'm going to guess Imperial Princess Cactus--not sure if it even IS a cactus, though--very pretty & unusual! Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crested ghost cactus?
    On a completely unrelated note: How did the markets smell? I have imagined the whole city smelling like beautiful flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Took me a while to get to this- I think Shasta wins this one. I actually did not know the answer - but a google image search is spot on.

    Actually, I couldn't smell too much in the city that day. A lot of the flowers (like tulips) don't smell, and they didn't have things like hyacinth.

    ReplyDelete