Of course, it's only appropriate to wear the orange...
Along with most of the rest of the people in the pub...
The Netherlands and Spain were fairly even in the first half of the game... Spain scored once, the Netherlands scored once.... then the Netherlands scored again, and again. When it was 4-1, the pub started chanting "Five! Five! Five!" To everyone's amazement, they actually did score again! Then the pub started chanting "Zes! Zes!" The Netherlands didn't score six, but the final score, 5-1, was impressive! The game included the incredible goal by van Persie, where he flew through the air, hit the ball with his forehead into the goal, and continued to face plant into the grass. It's now being called one of the greatest goals ever.
The pub breaks into celebration after one of the goals. This video does not truly show how deafening the cheers were.
On the way home, I biked with my orange hair. I almost crashed into a conga line of drunk college students celebrating, and then I high-fived two random drunk girls on the street as I biked past.
Everyone was happy.
Now, it's your turn to participate in World Cup madness. Make a guess on who will walk away with this year's world cup! Here are the rules:
1. Your guess must be in before the second round of the world cup commences (June 27th).
2. You can not guess a team that someone else has previously guessed.
3. One guess per person.
Then, following the same rules above, you can also make a guess on the cumulative score of the final game (ie, if the game is 3-1, the cumulative score is 4).
The winner will be determined at the end of the World cup (obviously). A correct guess for the team will be worth 4 points, and a correct guess for the number of points will be worth 3! This round of Beth's blog trivia will then come to an end, so make your guesses! It could be anyone's game!
* not the US


Brazil, cumulative score of 3. Although they're playing tonight, so maybe I should wait? Games over here in Scotland have been interesting - everyone just cheers for whichever team is playing against England :) The independence vote in September will be crazy!
ReplyDeleteSjaak will go with Holland with a 4 point cumulative score. Ginny's going to guess France with a 3-point cumulative score.
ReplyDeleteArgentina!
ReplyDelete~Alex
4 points total is my guess.
ReplyDeleteAll right I, who have no knowledge of soccer whatsoever...and even less interest---will take my vast knowledge or lack thereof to make my guess. From what I have learned during this event which is so -yawn- not that exciting that they can only get away with holding this event once every 4 years.... I will go with the USA winning it all. My Reasoning: If they tie a game they lose. If they lose a game, they actually win (as per the discussion I heard about USA losing to Germany and USA advancing) Now since a tie in a game seems very rare --the USA will have a pretty good chance of NOT LOSING. And since "losing" a game is really a win...and the USA is most likely going to lose a game... which actually means they will advance...which means they win... well how can they possibly lose...unless they win the game outright... but that ain't gonna happen...unless it was REAL FOOTBALL!!!! so USA...for the win. Now score, cumulative... hmmm I would really like to go with -3... or some IMAGINARY number... however I don't think that is in the rules...so I will go with 3 as I picked that number twice out of a six-time random selection of numbers---(I actually picked 9 --but hey, that ain't gonna happen!)
ReplyDelete