Friday, July 4, 2014

On the Edge, Men

Bram and I were lucky enough to enjoy a marvelous vacation to Croatia this summer.  Croatia is a stunningly beautiful country, with lots of opportunities to visit the bit of Europe that is still wild and untamed.  One of the National Parks we visited was Paklenica, known for its steep rock formations. 

Near the entrance to the park Paklenica
 Paklenica is a narrow gorge with amazingly steep cliffs on either side. 


This gorge is world-renowned in the climbing community, and thousands of climbers come to scale the cliffs.  

Readying the ropes
High above, many climbers could be spotted scaling the cliffs.  



The routes all have very clever names.

 


For a point, what was a route name that we saw?  
a. Mrs. Robinson 
b. Up, up, & up 
c. Break a leg 
d. Mojito in training
e. Too fast too furious

Some of the routes took climbers high above the canyon floor.


The canyon also is known for its series of beautiful waterfalls.  It makes the hike truly stunning.



Meeting the locals.


Traversing the water.


 

Croatia is also a very religious country.  You can even see evidence of this while hiking.


Beautiful panorama.


Beautiful closeup.



6 comments:

  1. I am going with break a leg...it seems very logical

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Mojito in Training. Even if that isn't the answer, I think whoever thought of that deserves credit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shasta - I thought of it. Thanks for the credit! Neither of those were a climbing route - the right answer is still up for grabs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be "too fast, too furious" Sjaak
    Or "Mrs. Robinson" Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginny once again you come across as victorious. Why anyone would name a route Mrs. Robinson is a mystery to me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah--I didn't have high hopes for that guess!!!

      Delete