Thursday, November 13, 2014

Cruising the Canals with the French - or - the Differeneces between France and the Netherlands

Recently, I went to a conference in Amsterdam.  The conference dinner was on a boat, and we cruised the canals of Amsterdam.  During the dinner, I sat with some French scientists, and they made two interesting observations about the differences between French and Dutch society.

The food:

France: You might remember one of my first blog posts on food in France - particularly, the spread of food provided at a work party.  When food is provided, food is provided.  Chefs to grill whole shrimp before you, and foie gras, chocolate fountains, cocktail glasses filled with various flavored moose, macaroons, and crates of wine are in great supply. 

the Netherlands:  Food is provided.  Great!  You walk into the lunch room, to be greeted with sandwiches with meat.  Next to that are sandwiches with cheese.  (Never, ever both.)  If a Dutch sandwich  had meat and cheese actually touch, the world would collapse.  Then there are these packaged raisin rolls (which seem to be everywhere) and pitchers of milk.  Milk?  Yes, milk.  The delegates of the conference commented the only thing that changed with the spread day to day is the order of the trays.  They also said, "Normally when I go to a conference, I'm so full from eating all the time - this is the first time I go to a conference I'm actually hungry before dinner."  Yes, welcome to the Netherlands.  Here, as my Spanish friend so eloquently put it, people eat simply so they don't die.

Shutters:

France: Every house is equipped with shutters, whether they be metal or wood.  As soon as the sun goes down, the shutters swing closed.  I've never seen inside a French house from the street before.

the Netherlands: The Dutch have nothing to hide.  Take a walk at night and you can see inside half a dozen houses - either they don't have curtains or shutters, or they simply don't care.  While on our canal trip, one of my colleagues was able to see inside a houseboat, where a completely naked woman casually strolled around her house.  Yes, welcome to the Netherlands.

1 comment:

  1. So close yet so far...How can countries so close together have cultures so different....wait, I forgot, Texas....so close yet it is a whole other country

    ReplyDelete