Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Green hills of Scotland!

Next, I hopped on a train and made the trek across the UK, northward to Scotland.  Scotland is amazingly beautiful.  It must be on my top 5 beautiful places I've visited in my life, and if I ever go back, I would love to spend some more time in the highlands.  There were beautiful *green!* rolling hills that dipped directly into the sea.




Upon arrival, the city was filled with the sound of bagpipe music.  Everywhere.  A bagpipe player walked right up to my husband to pose.


And the double-decker buses!  If I'm ever rich, I'm going to buy my own.

Note the plaid seats!
Edinburgh is amazing.  There are beautiful stone buildings everywhere.


Walking down the "Royal Mile", a street that links the castle with the royal residence (which is much more comfortable) lined with amazing architecture.


We head directly for the castle.  Cool!


Walking up to the castle.  We see lines of cannons along the wall.


Looking back down at Edinburgh from the castle.  Now we could see why it was built here!


The famous "one-o'clock" gun.  It's been fired every day at one-o'clock for years.  Why at one?  Well, it's more economical to fire once at one, than twelve times at noon.

The one-o'clock gun.  Scaring tourists daily.
On the castle grounds.


Bram contemplating life as he looks over the castle wall.


Below, the beautiful Princess Gardens sits in a bed of green.


I pose as a solemn guard.


The gargoyles of the castle.


From the castle, we can make out Arthur's Seat, a beautiful hill near the edge of the town.


Inside the castle, we visit rooms which make a grand display of Scottish defense.  Making art out of weapons, like swords and even guns, seems common here - I saw a similar display in Windsor castle.


Reminded me of so many scenes in movies, like the one in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. 

Could have an epic fight scene in this room.
Below, in the dark dungeons.  Many people from the American Revolution stayed here.  We could see their stories carved into the wood of the door.


The castle's chapel.



Another view of Arthur's Seat.


A man high up on the Seat.


We wandered through a factory where they make kilts.




Then we headed down the Royal Mile.  So many buildings made of brick!


The Royal Residence, made busy by the Royal Wedding that day!


This "window" (at the Royal Residence) was particularly interesting... it made it look like you were looking into the church!


And here's the church of the Royal Wedding!  I took pictures of people taking pictures...


From a distance, the Royal Mile is quite impressive, with buildings built on the edge of a cliff, so that they are short on one side, but very tall on the other.


Life is to the right.


And finally... our awesome hotel room!


2 comments:

  1. That was cool. I love the hat you are wearing you look so British! John Lennon wore one like that back in the day!! Did Bram buy a kilt? That would have been cute! I am so happy to hear how you are traveling so much! Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bram didn't buy a kilt. I wanted him to... maybe next time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete