Friday, June 15, 2012

Being Exotic in an Exotic Land

Japan is not like the United States, and even Europe.  99% of the people there look, well, Japanese.  I have a face that lets me look like a native in most places I've been to (I've been called Italian, Greek, Armenian, French, Turkish, and was even mistaken for a very pale Brazilian).  But there was no way I was to be mistaken for being Japanese.

But being different has its advantages.  One of my conference friends is from Iceland.  His blonde hair attracted crowds of school-age Japanese girls, who turned their heads to say hello, giggling "not" so shyly.  One even asked to be his facebook friend.

I'm different, but not "that" exotic.  I had no such crowd of Japanese school-age girls smiling at me while I traveled alone.  Or boys for that matter.  I guess some types of exotic are more exotic than others.

But as I was telling this story to a third friend, I turn around.  And I am telling the honest-to-goodness truth.  A young Japanese girl, about three years old, is staring at me, her jaw dropping open.

I guess someone out there thinks I'm exotic after all.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment