Thursday, June 7, 2012

Eclipse Viewing in Japan

The first day I was in Kyoto, I was treated to an annular eclipse.  I had to travel from Europe to Japan to see it, but see it I did!  I was lucky because it wasn't cloudy.  So I hit the streets in the early morning with thousands of Japanese school children to see the eclipse.

Here's the image of the eclipse, as seen through the leaves of a tree.


I tried to take a picture by using my solar filter against my camera, but it didn't work out too well.  But hey, you can see the sun and the moon, very, very far away.


As totality approached, I saw the sky dim.  Was it coming cloud cover?  Actually, no, it was the moon, which I suppose reached the critical amount of solar coverage to actually substantially change the amount of brightness on the Earth.

Totality was pretty cool.  Through my solar glasses, I could see the moon, surrounded by the sun, in a lopsided glowing orange ring.  It only lasted a minute though, so no pictures, however, my parents, who lived in "the best city in the world to see the eclipse" got some awesome pictures.

A point to anyone who can explain why sometimes we see a total eclipse, and sometimes we see an annular eclipse.

5 comments:

  1. And a bonus point if you can explain why we had a super moon right before the annular eclipse!

    Glad you got to see it, looks like you're having fun in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you again! I was back in France for the transit, and unfortunately, it was cloudy. Ah, France...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it was cloudy here too. :( Watching it via the live NASA feed just isn't the same. And I even kept my eclipse glasses...

      Delete
  2. We see a total eclipse when the moon is closer to the earth... this time we saw an annular eclipse because the moon was further away...and to answer Elizabeth... we had a super moon just before because the moon was really close to the earth...the closet it ever gets to the earth...the orbit of the moon is not a perfect circle it is more egg shape where sometimes the moon is really close and sometimes it is really far....I saw a Total eclipse and an annular eclipse in my lifetime....as the place where I was living during each occurrence happened to be the right place at the right time. I deserve at least 4 points.... one for answering Beth's question, one for Elizabeth's and two for being in the right place at the right time, twice in my life...and maybe if your generous even another point for taking great pictures of the annular Eclipse....I ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete