Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Things We Do For Art

As one of the outings for our department, we went to the local art museum, the Groninger Museum.  They had some pretty bizarre art.  It was perfect for a modern art museum, weird, but still interesting.  One of the exhibitions showed various "dresses" made out of very bizarre materials.  And in case you wonder - actual people have worn these dresses!  Of course, their practicality is a bit limited.

For example, this mannequin is making a fashion statement in black tubing.


And this one is wearing a dress made of thin shards of glass-like plastic.

Don't put your eye out!
This one is made of steel wire, and reminds me of a cloud of pollution.  If I remember correctly, the name was "Cloud".


Another artist made things with old clothes.  The benefit is that there is always a cheap, plentiful supply of working material!  Here, she expanded a Volkswagen van using an accordion of old clothes.
  

She also used old clothes to make "cities" within suitcases.  A point if you can guess what city this is.


This one is the inside of a giant brain made of cloth.


And landing gear made of clothes. 


8 comments:

  1. Okay so while confirming my guess I lost my long comment explaining my answer. Basically I found the artists name by searching for the museum and suitcases. Then I searched for her name and suitcase cities and got a list of the cities she has done:Shanghai (2002), New York (2005), Berlin (2006) and Melbourne (2009) and finally Groningen. So based on this I am going with Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...how about Macau? Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. the answer is Dusseldorf by Yin Xiuzhen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse me.... during the Packer game you post a question???? I claim FOUL FOUL FOUL...good thing the Packers won otherwise I would have been PO


    Yay to dad for guessing right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Dad! And for the record mom, this was posted more than 10 hours before the Packer game...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes but for some reason there was a delay until during the game...I guess because New Mexico is not part of the US we get a substantial delay from Az.

    ReplyDelete