Saturday, October 13, 2012

Castles and Cream Tea

Our last stop in Wales was Cardiff.  Much more metropolitan, it was a lot tougher to drive in the car on the right (oh, I mean left!) side of the road, and the GPS kept telling me to drive down pedestrian roads and onto loading docks. 

Eventually, we abandoned the car and continued our exploration on foot.

Walking the streets of Cardiff.
We visited Cardiff castle, a menagerie of castles that were glued to one another over the centuries. 


Detail of the beautiful clock tower.


When I was at the castle, I was recruited into their military.  Hey, the helmet was a bit big for me, but I took my job very seriously. 


Especially when my husband started mouthing off.  I had to put him in the stocks.*


The keep, placed on the top of a green hill.  The "pathway" leading to it is the remains of an old wall.



We climbed up to the top of the keep, and saw the view over Cardiff.


Looking down at the castle grounds.


Inside the keep.


Looking down within the keep.


Inside the grounds of the castle.


A beautiful room in Cardiff Castle.  A point if you can name this room and it's purpose.


The library, filled with beautiful old books.


Outside, Bram meets a giant stone kitty, and makes friends.


We stop and get some cream tea!  Yum!  Bram does it right by eating scones, thick cream, and tea.


Our trip to Wales is over!  What an adventure.  We head back to England on the UK trains.



* Footnote:  This is not really true.  My husband is nothing but sweet.  :)

3 comments:

  1. IT is called the Arab room-- it was intended as a drawing room for women

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so awesome, the view from the Keep to see the modern city of Cardiff...What an awesome castle, it is now on my bucket list...also that last photo of the sunset is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete