Monday, October 8, 2012

The Best Place on Earth

After coasteering, Bram and I appreciated the truly amazing Welsh coast.  Lonely Planet called it the best place to visit in the world.  I can believe it - there are few places in the world that I've been to that are more incredibly awe-inspiring beautiful.     


 Walking along the coastal path, we come across some ruins.

 

Overlooking the sea.  The squarish cliff used to be a quarry for slate, and earlier in the day, we jumped off it during our coasteering.


Green fields on the cliffs across the bay.



Sheer cliffs that drop into the sea below.






I'm happy.  The view is so incredible!





We head north, to a archeological site where settlements from the Iron Age have been found.  


Again, Bram has fun meeting the natives.


There was a garden that had some of the plants that were used thousands of years ago.

Thistle:


 and who knew that marshmallows grew on trees?



Archeologists have pieced together evidence for how people lived in the Iron Age.  These round houses have thatched roofs made of sticks.


Inside one of these houses, it's quite cozy.  A fire burns at the center, surrounded by benches made of tree trunks, and around the perimeter are beds.  A point if you can guess the year when this "Chieftan's House" was built.


5 comments:

  1. Since it was a reconstruction & isn't the original, I'm going to guess 1998. Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found another website that says the chieftan's house was actually completed in 2000 (though I think they WERE already building it in 1998). Now Rose is going to throw a fit & say I made two guesses, but as before, I am automatically withdrawing my 1st guess & guessing anew. :)

    The kids' Fall Break started today, so we're looking forward to a week in CA (and much cooler temps, if forecasts are to be trusted!). Pictures are in the mail! Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. During the Iron age 3-4th century

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was indeed built in 2000. It is a reconstruction of the original. It is actually an archeological "experiment", so they have people walk through the houses, build fires in them, etc, so the situation will be similar to that of thousands of years ago when people actually lived there. This lets the archeologists know how long these houses lasted.

    So, the point goes to Ginny, but I guess now is a good time to instate the rule - one guess allowed, until I come on and say it's wrong, then another guess is allowed. I think that is the most fair. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that was the rule from the beginning as I lost a point in the last game because I guessed twice...but I am not complaining (this time) as I had no idea how she was able to figure that one out....

    ReplyDelete