Sadly, some of the "younger" members of my department did not know what Space Invaders were. Those who did only knew of them in the "historical" context. Sigh. I remember playing them at the local Pizza Hut as a kid. I am now officially old.
As part of the party, people dressed up as their favorite video game character.
As part of the party, people dressed up as their favorite video game character.
Tasting a traditional cold weather food - pea soup.
The annual tradition of the department is a cake/pie contest. I made a flourless chocolate cake with butter cream frosting, and I took hagelslag and cut it into "pixel" shapes and arranged them as space invaders. It was awesome. I was quite proud of my space invader cake...
... but then I saw the competition. This cake is made in the theme of Minecraft - and is complete with marzipan people, animals, and a tree made of cake and chocolate.
Hans with his creation.
Needless to say, I did not win.
The other competition. I really liked the Pac Man cake complete with dots that were cupcakes.
Trying to open the champagne...
... and successful opening of the champagne, literally seconds after the light was taken out by the cork. (Note, it is darker in this picture than the previous one.)
During the cake tasting portion of the competition.
The best part - we are all winners - we all get to eat the cakes!
The evening ends with a surprise visit from Mario!
One of the taller students holds a box that Mario can jump for.
And a point if you can name a video game depicted in this post that I have not already mentioned. One point per person possible!




























Sjaak's guess: Legend of Zelda (the lady in green)
ReplyDeleteGinny's guess: Donkey Kong (the monkey face)
Alex has a guess, too: he sees an Angry Bird hanging from the ceiling in one of the pics! :)
ReplyDeleteI will say pong (the couple with each as half the playing "field"). - Bram
ReplyDeleterobin hood video games (girl dressed like Robin hood) and angry birds depicted by the girl in the mask
ReplyDeleteGirl dressed like Super girl... Super Girl Video Game
ReplyDeleteIf you need the name of the video game in which super girl is in it is DC Universe online
ReplyDeleteTomb raider/ princess Leia. Hard to tell what they meant in picture. I am referring to the girl with gun and also girl with braids. Both seem like they could be either character based on what I can see in picture.
ReplyDeleteJoey
Good job everyone. Joey - she's not Princess Leia, but the other woman could be Tomb Raider, so I'll give you a point for that. Dad - the woman you described as Robin Hood is actually Zelda.
ReplyDeleteactually Beth you are wrong the girl is not Zelda she is Link.
ReplyDeletedo I get another pointfor that?
Joey
That is correct, but I asked for the games depicted - not the character.
Delete