Saturday, March 2, 2013

Streets of Amsterdam

Continuing on my visit to Amsterdam, I was able to explore little known parts of the city.  The cold temperatures and snowfall made them pretty desolate.  It was still nice to walk through the cold snow-covered streets.


Someone went shutter-crazy when designing this building!


With the ground being so water-logged, a real problem in the Netherlands is sinking houses.  Here is proof of this - the house in the middle has sunk, unevenly, into the ground.  I wonder if the floors in the house are now sloped!

I tried playing marbles inside.  I failed.
The snow covered streets, of course, do not impede bike riding.


It did, however, freeze this couple solid as they shared a bottle of wine.


Here's a really weird shaped house.  I imagine fitting furniture in that corner would be tricky.


Some of the pretty buildings in Amsterdam.


Finally, an HDR of the canals as evening falls.

2 comments:

  1. I like the new background! I thought I had gone to the wrong blog address when I saw it, though! :) Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to see tulips like this next month! The snowmen were my favorite!

    ReplyDelete