Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Speaking English for a Week

I spent the last week in an English speaking country.  Sure, they speak English "funny" (as I wink at my English and Scottish friends), but still, it's nice to be able to understand people for a change, and to talk to strangers without having to break out in a cold sweat as I try to compose my sentences with the correct verb tense and prepositions.

The first post today: London, to do all things, well, London-ie.  Of course, this involves visiting the famous platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station, where I see a young boy attempting to follow Harry Potter through the wall.


I also see a familiar temple that was originally in Greece.  For those loyal blog readers, you may think this temple looks familiar from my posts in Greece.


That's because, well, it is from Greece, the Acropolis to be specific.  One of them is the real thing, the other, just look alikes.


I met up with my student and friend Christopher who now lives in London.  He took me to Camden, which was a touch more 'edgy' than I anticipated.  I thought it would be a mix of craft booths and some nice home-baked muffins.  What it really was was a mix of tattoo parlors, goth clothing shops, Indian stores burning incense, and cafes filled with guys with foot high mohawks. 

Some interesting façades in Camden


The international food section had the feeling of the bazaar I visited in Istanbul years back.  And the food was pretty great - lots of street vendors selling ethnic foods.


Deeper into Camden, we came across antique markets filled with all sorts of fun things, including toys I had when I was a kid.



More of the interesting façades...


Next, we met up with my friend Melanie and her boyfriend Geoff and drove through the posh neighborhoods of London.


One of our destinations: Abbey Road, site of the Beatles recording studio.


And location of their shot of their famous Album Cover of "Abbey Road"

The Beatles - making traffic jams since 1969
We spent some time looking for the right crosswalk.

Is this the crosswalk?
Finally we found it - because there was a crowd of similar people gathered there - to take their picture walking in the same crosswalk the Beatles crossed! 
Why did the tourist cross the road?  To buy a picture of him crossing it!
Of course, this whole production causes a traffic backup in both directions.  A lot of people wanted to cross the street.  So we made a few attempts.  Christopher walked across so fast that he isn't even in the first few pictures,  and unfortunately there were a lot of other people crossing with us.

At least we have the stance right!

Me ordering Chris back onto the crosswalk
Then Christopher joined us.  Note the traffic we are blocking...


Ah well.  At least we got our picture...

Now, onto some more familiar sights...


Buckingham Palace


And of course, Big Ben.


And one thing to be careful of - cars driving on the wrong side of the road!

1 comment:

  1. Too bad those other blokes crossing with you not in the "stance" ruined your picture....they should close off the street to traffic for that one block, allowing people to cross the street...but have them all walking in the same direction. They could have this whole thing better organized! They need a Yank to go "over there" and organize this money making tourist trap!

    ReplyDelete