Thursday, September 22, 2011

Loire Valley Part 1: Tours and Chenonceau

We took my parents down to the Loire Valley for a weekend trip.  It was their first time on a train for transportation!

Wow!
First, we took a first stop in Tours.  The cathedral there was quite amazing.

Wow squared!
Cathedrals always impress me - mainly, how a society that could barely afford to pave their roads built buildings that still cause awe almost a thousand years later.




Nearby was a taste of the castle-hunting we were about to embark on.


Walking across the windy bridge, crossing the Loire River.


Our first stop was Chenonceau.  It's a neat castle built on a bridge over the river.  I visited this castle several years ago with my friend Julie, but it's neat enough that I wanted to show my husband and parents as well.

Standing in front of Chenonceau
Crossing the river, that doubles as a moat.


The edges of the gardens and the tower, that was part of the even older castle at the same location.




Inside the castle were *amazing!* flower arrangements.  They were in almost every room, and directly from the extensive flower gardens outside.  They could sell for hundreds of euros, easy.


Mom stops by a mom-sized door.


Inside the bedrooms.




The part of the castle that spans the river is a long "ballroom".  During WWII, half of the castle was in the occupied zone, while the other half was not.  This ballroom was used to get people out of the occupied zone.


More flowers!


The kitchens were really neat to visit.  Here is the bread oven.


Dad trying out the kitchen knives!

Stand back- man with knife.

The servant's eating quarters.  What a great rustic kitchen!


And I've traveled halfway around the world to find... green chili!!!


Yes, I want this kitchen.

I wonder if I can rent the castle... or the green chili.


My husband and I kiss from the balcony of the castle overlooking the gardens.


Some of the ceiling work.



Flowers were everywhere in the castle!



On the castle grounds was a labyrinth.  We raced through it to see who could reach the center first.


I of course, got lost.  My mom, on the other hand, showed off her competitive side by running through the maze.  I only got the edge of her as she runs past a young boy.

Run mom run!
Trying to find our way back out of the maze.

Tall people do have the advantage here!
In the castle gardens, Bram sees if he can lift a tree.

First parting seas, now this.  I really am married to someone incredible.


Part of the rustic charming buildings in the gardens.


The gardens were filled with all sorts of wonderful things.  Beautiful flowers, plentiful gardens, and incredible... leaves!




I recognized these from there cut siblings inside the castle!


Squash hanging from the ceiling.  Neat way to grow squash!


1 comment:

  1. Beth, your pictures are awesome...especially when I compare them to mine...guess there is quite a difference between your camera and my "Phone" camera! =/

    ReplyDelete