Sunday, September 4, 2011

Moving - I've Lost my Mind

Normally, I don't like to move.  I avoid it.  However, we don't have that many things here.  We have no furniture, and only a few suitcases we brought with us and random things we've accumulated.  So, let's move!  It would be easy to move to a new apartment! 

Famous last words.

First of all, we signed a lease with a couple who doesn't speak English.  I was able to communicate with them over email and in person in French - something I definitely would not have been able to do last year.

Go us.

But things just got more and more complicated.  First, I had an interview to change our housing insurance to the new house.  In French.  Signing French contracts and reading French leagaleeze is always fun.

Then figuring out how to change our address in France.

Then walking through a torrential downpour to try to cancel our internet by meeting with people at the internet provider, only to realize we can't actually cancel our internet by talking to the people at the internet provider.

Then let's not forget actually packing all of those "few" possessions into multiple carloads of stuff, spending 300 euros at the store to buy all the things that the new apartment doesn't have that the old apartment did have. 

Then ... having my parents visit two days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment