Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hunting Me a Windmill

One of the coolest thing about my new country are windmills.  There are hundreds of windmills that dot the landscape of the Netherlands, many of them historically preserved.  So Bram and I recently went on a "windmill hunt" to find one of these windmills.  We headed north along the bike paths, following one of the main roads diagonally away from the city.


This involved biking through the Dutch countryside.  This taught me several things:
1. the Netherlands is very flat
2. therefore the Netherlands is very windy
3. therefore my bike goes very slowly.
Q.E.D.


I also learned that the Netherlands is filled with cows and sheep.  


And the Netherlands is filled with water!  Growing up in the desert, the amount of canals here will never cease to amaze me.


We biked through the countryside, looking for our windmill.  It was beautiful to see the open spaces and rural farmland.  All I can say is - very different from Paris.



 

We biked farther and farther, and biking into the wind, I was afraid we would never find our windmill.  But finally, there it was!


Surrounded by cows, it sure looked idyllic.



Chasing windmills is one of our new hobbies.  We are just like Don Quixote!  

And now for the point - what year was this windmill constructed in?  

16 comments:

  1. Well, I'm going to guess 1878, but you are right that this is a hard one! If you stump all of us, does that mean that YOU get a point??? :) Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1855 - Ginny

    *buffs nails*

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry - wrong macro. Sjaak

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one has gotten it yet - but one of you is very close. This question is not impossible, I gave a couple of clues in the text to lead you on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since this is the first time I've ever gotten here before someone else had guessed the answer to the question, I'll throw my hat in this time.
    Is it 1860? :)
    With love from Jerusalem! ~Jessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessa - glad you got a chance to answer this time! But it looks like I've finally found a question to stump you all! No one has gotten it yet, so here is your second clue: the name of the street it's along is Friesestraatweg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And just to make things exciting, since I've finally come up with a hard question, let's make it worth 2 points!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any confidence in the rightness of this guess, but all I can find is 1829. Good job on stumping us! Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Ginny! You got it! The windmill is De Jonge Held - http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Jonge_Held_%28molen%29
    Looking at the 'molen database' - the list of windmills in the Netherlands - gives locations and dates they were constructed. I suppose the name of the street was the key to narrow down which windmill it was.

    I think I also get a point for stumping you all! He he!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sad thing is that that was the first (and only) windmill I found when I first researched the route you used by using Google maps...but I didn't think it was right because it seemed too close to the city. Guess I thought you'd be taking 10-mile bike rides by now with all your practice! :) Good question...guess I should've trusted my first guess. Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about a 12 km round trip - plus one has to take into account the significant amount of time we had no idea where we were. :-)

      Delete
  11. Dang it I was too slow again! Joey

    ReplyDelete