Monday, April 25, 2011

An Adventure Story - Told Through Food

French food is always somewhat of an adventure.  Here are some of the more exciting ones:

Trying to eat what I am used to - Mexican food.  Here is a "burrito", on a bed of linguine, covered in tomato sauce and speared with a sprig of rosemary.  Even looking at this picture makes my stomach hurt.


In Lyon, I tried some sausage.  It didn't look to appetizing, but it tasted good:

   

My husband on the other hand, ate Andouillette.   While it looks more appetizing, it's actually, *ahem*, tripe sausage.  


In the canteen I was greeted with this sign:


Did you catch it?  Read it again.. "Saute de kangourou".  That's right.  I tried kangaroo.  



Also, in the butcher in my ordinary grocery store, there are brains, horse meat, right next to skinnless rabbit, displayed complete with head and ears and with a view of his insides.  Picture not included here for obvious reasons.

But, if for no other reason but that my mom will know she will not starve to death when she comes to France, here are some winners:
Here  is my favorite: raclette - high quality melted cheese that you can pour over potatoes and meat.  Yum!  It doesn't get better than that.


In fact, melted cheese is quite popular here.  Here we are eating fondue (and drinking wine!):

And some more, of the chocolate variety, complete with fresh fruits and homemade marshmallows:




Nutella is also very big here.  Literally.  For just under 40 euro, you can get a 5 kg jar!  


 We've also tried out making homemade crepes!  Here I am working on my technique. 


And of course, the single best thing about living in France, the desserts!

1 comment:

  1. OK I have decided... when I come there I am only eating desserts! OK, maybe a crepe or two depending what it is filled with... I will not eat any meat or seafood, just to be safe!

    ReplyDelete