Saturday, April 9, 2011

Leiden: The story of a Bell and a Chinese Restaurant

Leiden was a very beautiful city criss-crossed with many canals.  It has a famous windmill that you can visit. 


One of the central squares, bordered by canals.


The central square used to house a market for the buying and trading of cattle.  A bell was rung during the trading.  This bell still exists, and now lies between a Chinese and fast food Japanese restaurant.  


(Actually, there are quite a few international restaurants in Leiden.  I think it's because they have the university, perhaps, with people coming from all over the world.  Indeed, Leiden does have an international feel.  We even ate at a Mexican restaurant, complete with barstools shaped like saddles!)

Bram and I took a canal cruise.  


The canals are crossed by thousands of bridges, which our boat driver advised us not to hit our heads on by standing in the boat.  It was a real possibility - these bridges were low. 


And I saw the observatory at the University of Leiden!  I know a lot of people who have worked there at one time or another.


Flowers along the canals were in full bloom.  It was a bit early for tulips, but there were thousands of daffodils!




Since there are so many canals, having a houseboat is really popular.  The houseboats came in all different shapes and sizes, and were interesting to look at.  A lot had a boat parked out back.



And especially for my brother - the Netherlands makes a lot of beer!


Around the city, there is something like 100 poems written on the sides of buildings in all different languages.  Of course, both of the ones I saw were in French.


A lot of the houses had various shapes for the top parts of their facades.  This was to help distinguish between the houses before they had numbers.


I had this interesting pizza/crepe hybrid.  I don't know if this is Dutch food, or just someone's idea of interesting food.


After dinner, we enjoyed the nice twilight city.


No comments:

Post a Comment