Friday, April 8, 2011

Holland - tulips, windmills, and interesting shoes

We just got back from a trip to the Netherlands.  It was a lot of fun, and it was everything that I expected the Netherlands to be like.

It had tulips:


It also had lots and lots of bikes.  Check out this parking structure for bikes!  It had three levels, plus at least another thousand bikes scattered around outside of it!


The Netherlands also used to have 10,000 windmills.  Now, it has about 1,000, which are all now protected monuments.  I photographed about half of them.









And of course, klumpa!  (aka clogs).   The Dutch really like their klumpa.  They even have the high heal variety.  


And another interesting thing about the Netherlands - everyone is really tall.  I never felt so short.  In the bathroom, the mirror was so high I could just see the top of my head!


In the next few days I'll post more pictures - so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I love the mirror, I heard from one of my hiking friends about how tall the Dutch are... but to have the mirrors that high is so funny! Tulips and windmills were awesome. Can't wait to see more

    ReplyDelete