Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Amsterdam - Partying with U2, Clooney, and Tiesto

I saved the longest post for last!  Amsterdam!  What an interesting (and unique) city.  The first thing that I saw when I got off the train was a sign for Burger King.  That trend continued in the town.  This shot has a Subway, Burger King, and McDonalds in it.


The city also had a lot of fun architecture.







We took a cruise on the canals. 



Because canals make up a huge part of Amsterdam, there were many houseboats of all sizes and shapes.


Because of all those canals, the ground is a bit soggy, which has caused some houses to slowly sink into the muck.  This results in a larger proportion of houses than I would have liked to see with sloped windows, telling tales of gradual sinkage. 


We passed the headquarters of Heineken. 


This was a nice museum we went to: the Rijksmuseum.  It had an amazing collection of Rembrandts.



The neat bell on the museum.


On the museum is a nice mosaic depicting the apartment flag of Sheldon and Leonard.

Of course, it was nice to see all the bridges over the canals, coated with a thin veneer of bikes.



We visited the house of Anne Frank, where she and her family hid during WWII.  It had a very plain exterior, and you could imagine how a family could hide inside.  Of course, it was quite moving to walk through the rooms and imagine what they went through.


Nearby, a church.


Crown on top of the church.


The lightposts near the church wore the same little crown that was on the church itself.


On the boat with Bram's cousins.


Our trip to Amsterdam soon got very interesting.  We both were able to meet a lot of interesting people!  It was quite a party!  I was to meet some royalty, and even try on a tiara myself!


My husband has a drink with the creator of Heineken beer.


I even got to meet Pope John Paul II! 


And later, the great minds of the world got together for a nice discussion.  


The wax museum was weirding me out a bit.  This girl is actually wax, but I thought she was real.  I had to go back and look at her carefully after I realized she hadn't moved in 15 minutes.


Bram pretends to be a statue.  He actually fooled one lady who was looking very carefully at him.


I met Bono from U2.


Bram met Freddy Mercury.


I partied all night with DJ Tiesto.


We had a long chat with Einstein.


Me as the newest Bond girl.


Bram and Julia Roberts.


On a date with George Clooney.


I don't remember who this is, but look how real he looks!  Amazing.





On our way out I took the wrong turn at the vending machines and almost fell out a window.  Luckily Spiderman saved me.

That wraps up our trip to Holland!  Now, we return to France with lots of stories, good pictures, and kilos and kilos of hagelslag. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved the way you and Bram posed with the wax figures... I think Spiderman and Freddy Mercury were my favorites with Einstein a close third. You should have gotten in that picture too...but then who would take the pictures? Thanks for sharing seems like you had a most excellent adventure!

    ReplyDelete