Thursday, April 14, 2011

Keukenhof - Seeing the World through Tulip Colored Glasses

Going to Holland in the spring is awesome.  Why?  One word.  Keukenhof.


It's the largest botanical garden I've ever been in.  It's only open in the spring, tulip season!  It has billions (literally) of tulips and other flowers arranged artfully in the lawn, plus much more.


Hubby resting in the gardens as his crazy wife goes shutter-crazy.


Neat, huh?


They had some giant klumpa to try on!  


Of course, hubby tries to escape with them.


They had a giant greenhouse filled just with orchids.  It was amazing.  They were hanging from the walls, on shelves near the ceiling, all around us!



Some are unlike any I've seen before.


Poof ball!



These look like spiders.


Of course, my husband wanted his chance to look like a wife.  The other women, waiting in line to try on the "wedding gown", did not anticipate a guy taking a turn too.


Now for some tulips.



And I even got my obligatory tulip and windmill picture!  


I got to go inside.  Very cool!  See me way up there?


Got a kick out of these.  Windmill and klumpa shaped lollipops.


Bram loves the giant klumpa.  


Now the tulip room.  It was awesome!  They must have had a billion flowers, and a million different types.


Inside the prism of flowers.



We saw some really interesting tulips.  Some with skinny petals and striped leaves...


fuzzy tulips...


some as big as your hand...


and some that saturated the red in my camera!


Jumping through the lake.


Finally, tired after waiting for his wife to take pictures all day.  I have such a patient husband.

3 comments:

  1. Bram!!! I know how you feel... You should be me and have to be on a trip with Beth, Joey and Joe all taking pictures... I had to have the patience of a saint! With that said... Beth, the tulips are so awesome as were the other flowers. Especially love the one with the wind mill. Sorry you never were able to buy your own pair of klumpas, you should have at least bought two small pairs just to use for St. Nick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just as bad now with your 200 photos posted to facebook! Haha! We had fun. They have klumpa of all sizes - maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good photos, especially the one with the windmill and flowers!

    ReplyDelete